Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Vmware Server

I think for a few months I have been using Vmware server.  I great product and I have mentioned it a couple of times.  Tonight while doing some stuff "upstairs" in my girlfriend's room.  I was on laptop and wanted to check on my boxes down stairs.  I VNC'd into them one a Win2k box and the other a Ubuntu box with Vmware server.  Once I was messing around to see what updates there were and what had been going on with the boxes (regular maintenance).  I proceeded to think I have Vmware server on my laptop and I don't have Mandrake as a test box but I do have it on my Ubuntu box.  So I fired up Vmware server on my FC5 laptop and typed in the address for my Ubuntu box and the username and password for it to authenticate and bam I was looking all the vmware machines I had downstairs which is quite a few.  I then fired up some of these boxes and they ran swiftly the best part is they don't take up any extra room on my upstaris machine a thought crossed my mind to take off vmware server on my laptop and just use my Ubuntu box remotely when I need those extra test vms.  Of course I am not going to but I realized that I had finally used Vmware server the way you were supposed to, remotley. 

Using technology is awesome but using it the way your supposed to is great.  I have only had Vmware on the local machine but with the use of having it downstairs and having more machines able to hook up on that box it is a good bet I will be using it in that manner from now on.  Of course this is not a huge discovery but it is pretty dang cool to me.  The next step is to implement it at work.

No comments: