Tuesday, January 30, 2007

openSuSe 10.2 VMware workstation running Windows Partition

I finally did it. After reading a fascinating article on Digg.com about running your physical Windows Partition through Linux via VMware I decided I had to give it a try. The article http://rougebob.com/Running-a-Windows-Partition-in-VMware.htm this tutorial lead me down the path of enlightenment as far as running VMware. I followed the tutorial to the T made sure I dotted my eyes, however, there was on problem everytime I went to boot from the Windows partition I would get a BSOD. I made sure that I had created seperate hardware profiles but it still happened. I found another tutorial on line and it was again very excellent and it even helped me remove grub from the MBR that I had copied off with dd from the previous tutorial. Alas, when I went to boot I got the BSOD. I finally got smart though and just reinstalled Win XP through VMware by booting to install disk and then installing on to the previous Windows partition. Because of the fact that I had installed Windows this time it detected all hardware and booted perfectly. It was amazing to be on the same harddrive and not have to reboot but know that I can reboot if need be into Windows.

No comments: