Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Is it wrong to want to expand your horizons on the Internet? When a new site comes out and somebody says hey take a look at this, this is really cool. Perhaps you check out the site sign up for an account and use it for a while and then decide its not for you, but the thing is at least you tried it. My question is why not try something, maybe it will put your name out there, not for fame, not for ambition just to put yourself out there to see what happens or to try something new.

My friend wrote a post on his blog called Look at Me! Look at Me!, he has been on the Internet scene for a long while, at least in comparison to myself. As a newbie to the Internet and to the Look at Me! conundrum, maybe I have to embrace it try things out, after a few months move on to the next thing. For instance, I am a shy person until someone gets to know me, so the Internet is where I let it out at least on my blog. I am scared of criticism, and do not want to get flamed on any site, that is why I seldom post. One day, last week I decided to throw caution to the wind and post up a comment on digg.com about one of my favorite subjects Linux. To my surprise I did not get flamed (that I know of) and no one came out and took a shot at me. I then began to post elsewhere in Google Groups trying to help people with questions on Linux or if I had an opinion, posting it up. Am I doing the Look at Me! by posting my opinion on the Internet by having a facebook, myspace, twitter, google groups, digg, and this blog?

I didn't even know that Look at Me! even existed until my friend posted it, isn't that the beauty of the Internet, everyone connected and sharing ideas and discussion, even if it screams Look at Me!.

1 comment:

Andy said...

I think you're missing the point of the articles.

The context you're trying a lot of your new things is different than most others who are trying it for fame & money.

You've always been a bit more exploratory than a lot of others, as evidenced by your ability to find awesome random software because you've tried everything under the sun.

The Look at Me! is more in the context of doing things to solely bring attention on yourself. How many emo Facebook notes have you seen out there? MySpace Bulletins?

The Web is wonderful, but I'm not wanting to contribute to the egosphere as much these days.