Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dell Optiplex nseries...Your Thoughts

As I was reading in my Linux Group I came across a couple articles about Linux and Dell and an open source desktop. I checked it out and here is the configuration I came up with tell me what you think.
PROCESSOR

AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512KBx2)


OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM)
HARD DRIVE 250GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only
VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics
MONITOR Dell 17 inch E177FP Flat Panel, Analog
Total Price: $954

The Operating System being FreeDOS Basically means none pre-installed I would install some sort of Linux on it. The reason that I was looking was that sometimes you need a good desktop and this one would definitely be that and if I wanted to I have control on it.


I wanted a comparison of a regulater Optiplex so here it goes:


PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512KBx2) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows Vista™ Business, with media, 32 Edition, English edit
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
HARD DRIVE 250GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition for Vista Home Basic and Busi edit
VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
MONITOR Dell 17 inch E177FP Flat Panel, Analog edit
ENERGY SMART Dell Energy Smart Enable
Total Price: $1,059

Ok for $100 more I can get Windows Vista,
not a huge savings with the nseries. Why does this amaze me so?? Although is this is pretty cool for no OS why can't the price be cheaper?? Ah I can't complain its still pretty cool that they offer a system with no OS or at least an Open source version.

If anyone reads this what are your thoughts would you go with no OS or just go with the Vista and possibly do a dual boot???? (considering you wanted to use Linux or have a Windows License already)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

no os then install xp from msdn